Sunday, October 11, 2009

topic of the day

So as I have read and been informed today is National Coming Out Day or something like that.

So this actually frustrates me a little bit. I've blogged about it before and I'm gonna blog about it now and probably blog about it again...

This idea that people need to be forced to come out is soo frustrating! I know its not healthy to be "in the closet" your whole life but what's the rush? I don't understand why people are soooo insistant on having everyone come out.

Who does a "closeted" gay person owe? What difference is it gonna make if they tell someone they are gay!

Coming out is a very hard and emotional experience that needs to happen at ones own time not according to someone else.

So its not just the fact its "National Coming Out Day" that I am posting this blog, I was on twitter today (I'm a huge twitter fan) and I will admit I follow chris crocker (you know "leave britney alone") I am a fan of his videos and just him in general but he tweeted something that made me a little mad.... here's his tweet

"Closet cases are just as bad as gay bashers. They hold the gay community back with self-hate. if you're not standing tall, why stand at all?" -Chris Crocker

Who is he to say that? How is someone who's "in the closet" self hating? Self hate? Really?

See I wouldn't consider myself "in the closet". If someone asked me straight out if I liked boys I would say "yes I do is that a problem?" I wouldn't mind but I'm not gonna just announce it to the whole world! For what? What's the point? Its not gonna make any difference if people know or if they don't.

A question you might have is why I don't reveal my identity here on blogger. People I blog about I'm sure would not appreciate mine and their stories. I hope that makes sense....

So let's just say....I will never force anyone to come out...if they don't want the world to know then so be it! Who cares who you sleep with? It shouldn't matter!

So anyways lol I would love to hear everyones thoughts on this. Comment and I will email you and maybe we can discuss it further I would love to hear an opposite point of view.....

I'm not here to bash anyones opinions that's not what I want to do I just am stating my opinion =)

Oh and p.s I replied to chris crocker on twitter let's see if he replies back let's see if he is too chicken hahaha just kidding lol

2 comments:

  1. Hey fella,

    I have been following for a while and do enjoy what you have to say.

    Personally I share both views equally. On the one hand I agree it is no one's business who you have a relationship with. On the other, if you are closetted then you can not openly show your support for the community.

    That is the real drawback to the closet. No one is asking anyone to be a crusader, but if no one admitted it then nothing would get done..., know what I mean?

    Octavius.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came out when I was 20 - about eighteen months after I left home and got a place of my own.

    I wanted to introduce my boyfriend to my parents and did not want to tell them lies - I wanted to be truthful to them about our relationship.

    Although my dad took some time and said some hurtful things before he did so - finally he accepted that his youngest son was gay. Three years later they both came on holiday with us - an openly gay couple.

    No, neither of us dressed other than as men, no jewellery or make-up and we both drank beer. We didn't mince or say 'ducky' every third word and it gradually dawned on my dad that we were no different from any other blokes he knew. He just ignored what we might or might nod be doing in bed together. He didn't have to confront that.

    Once my parents knew I was gay the rest of my family had to be told and several made a point of jointly addressing Christmas cards and so on.

    I also then came out at work because I couldn't put up with everyone wanting to know about girlfriends! I didn't lose my job and in fact didn't lose any friends at work either. Most people will accept gay people just like I, as a gay man, can accept heterosexual people - well, most of them, anyway!

    Never say never - please.

    ReplyDelete